One of the goals of Carriots is to integrate easily with external IT Applications and Systems to provide more functionalities for your products or services. That is why we are always looking for third party applications that can we integrated with Carriots and write a tutorial on how to do it. Today’s integration with Ducksboard is a series of posts on these integrations and their possibilities.
First of all: What is Ducksboard?
Well Ducksboard has nothing to do with Carriots. It just happens that we found their product cool and we thought it might be an interesting to integrate the products through our APIs.
Ducksboard has built a nice web application to have custom dashboards with real time information. You can build your own dashboards by combining many types of widgets. If you take a look at the services they hook to you might notice that these dashboards are not YET used by Internet of Things (IOT) devices. Don’t worry. Ducksboard supports to have custom widgets for:
Take a look at their services and their website:
This is how their Ducksboards Dashboards look like:
Why should I integrate Carriots with Ducksboard?
By sending data from Carriots to Ducksboard you can have a custom dashboard to show in real time:
- Data collected by the sensors of your devices: Use a custom widget to show or graph numeric information. In Carriots you can choose which information you want to send to the dashboard. You decide which values of your data streams are sent to which widgets.
- Status information of your devices: If you use Carriots features to automatically track the status of your devices you create nice widgets like this one:
- Convert data into useful information and present it in a Dashboard: In Carriots you can use listeners to process data collected from your devices and convert raw data into useful information. For example you can create a business rule to track the temperature of an asset and generate an alarm when the value is out of the normal range. Then, you can also send that alarm information to Ducksboard to be shown in a dashboard.
You can combine these widgets with others that collect information from other sources like Zendesk or Google Analytics. Or you can even embed those widgets into your web application and create a full meshup of services.
How to integrate Carriots with Ducksboard?
Well it is very simple and we have created this tutorial for you:
This tutorial shows you the two different methods of integration:
- The simple and super fast way: Using a Trigger to push data to Ducksboard API
- The more flexible but only fast way: Using a listener to connect to Ducksboard API
Depending on your application needs it might better to use a simple trigger or to use all the power of a listener.
If you have any trouble integrating Carriots and Ducksboard check our Developer Forum and post your questions or simply share your experience with the rest of the community.