The nominations for the 2nd annual Altair Enlighten Award have been announced! An impressive array of companies and projects are under consideration for the award this year. The winner will be revealed on August 4th at the 2014 Center for Automotive Research (CAR) Management Briefing Seminars.
The Altair Enlighten Award recognizes weight reduction achievements across the automotive industry, from motorcycles to buses, while providing useful and informative knowledge on innovative techniques, technologies, and manufacturing processes to improve and solve various industry challenges. The award is presented in collaboration with CAR, which is a non-profit organization based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. For nearly 50 years, CAR’s Management Briefing Seminars have hosted researchers and thought leaders for a week in northern Michigan to discuss significant issues related to the global automotive industry’s future.
The Altair Enlighten Award’s judging committee consists of worldwide industry experts from the automotive community, including the Chief Executive Officer of CAR’s Coalition for Automotive Lighweighting Materials (CALM), Dr. Jay Baron. “This year’s nominations represent a diverse range of solutions to meet significant design challenges while still delivering exceptional products to the market,” noted David Mason, Senior Vice President of Global Automotive for Altair. Not only that, this year, the nomination pool has grown more international. The 2014 Award nominees are:
- Continental Structural Plastics – Composite outer body panels for Chevrolet Corvette
- Dow Automotive Systems – Epoxy structural adhesive applications for PACCAR Kenworth and Peterbilt
- Dow Automotive Systems – Crash durable adhesive for Chevrolet Corvette
- Grede Holdings LLC – Lightweight spring hanger bracket casting for Freightliner
- Jaguar Land Rover Ltd. – Premium lightweight vehicle architectures
- LANXESS – Highly reinforced polyamide front end carrier for the Skoda Octavia
- MAHLE North America – Lightweight connecting rod for Polaris Indian Motorcycle
- Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. – Rear engine mounting bracket for the Maruti Alto
- Multimatic Inc. – Steel front lower control arm for the Chevrolet Impala
- SABIC – Optimized instrument panel for the Chrysler Jeep Cherokee
- Shiloh Industries, Inc. – Acoustic panel laminate for the Cadillac ATS
Altair would like to thank every one of these companies for its submission this year. Congratulations are in order for the outstanding achievements in lightweighting profiled in the above projects. It will be a difficult decision, but we truly look forward to seeing you on August 4th and announcing the winner!
Latest posts by Dave Mason (see all)
- Thought Leader Thursday: Automotive Lightweighting Trends and the Altair Enlighten Award - September 3, 2015
- Featured Event: 2015 Altair Enlighten Award Winner Announced at CAR’s MBS - August 3, 2015
- 2015 Altair Enlighten Award Judges Announced - April 16, 2015