It was a successful demonstration for eleven Altair customers during the High-Performance Computing (HPC) Cloud Challenge, utilizing Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Intel technologies to leverage the cloud for large-scale design exploration in the area of computer-aided engineering (CAE). The participants ranged from manufacturing and academic fields participated in the Challenge, and all benefitted by using Altair technologies in structural, CFD and design studies!
We provided them complete access to our software, computing resources from AWS, and product support, free of charge, over the period of seven or more days to complete their engineering projects. Participants could choose from among six different configurations, starting with 32 cores and going up to 128 cores or more on the Intel® Xeon® processor E5 product family, and Altair’s HyperWorks Unlimited™ (HWUL) Virtual Appliance. All together, the customers submitted a total of 43,520 jobs, running 10,405 wall clock hours with the most applied HyperWorks solvers to be RADIOSS, OptiStruct and HyperStudy.
What They Said
Dr. Jörg Büttner from ZF TRW
“For us, the HPC Challenge was a very positive experience. We used the HPC Challenge for a project for which we applied the RADIOSS solver with 32 nodes, explicit. A solution such as HWUL Virtual Appliance enables parallel work, is very easy to use and provides a fast up- and download of data. With more resources available, and by using cloud and local resources in parallel, we received more results faster.”
Fernando Mitsuyassu from Maxion Wheels
“We tried HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance for the first time via the HPC Challenge and I have to say we were extremely satisfied – it’s pretty simple, robust, fast and reliable. We usually handle our simulation tasks on local workstations and this was much faster. The reduction of processing time we reached was around 50 percent and in some cases even up to 80 percent.”
“Altair is very excited to see the results of the HPC challenge,” said Robert Walsh, Altair’s Vice President Business Development for Cloud Solutions. “Projects like this help validate this new HPC paradigm for everyone. This type of solution demonstrates the true value and power cloud based HPC for CAE. With the combined solutions of Altair Engineering, AWS and Intel now cutting-edge tools can truly be democratized by reducing barriers for highly complex engineering tasks, bringing performance, flexibility, scalability and affordability to CAE, triggering simulation-driven innovation.”
By the Numbers
- 75% of users that employed HyperWorks Unlimited computing resources in a trial found it useful to their project and 100% were able to complete the same or more amount of work compared to their previous computing environment.
- 100% of users that operated HyperWorks Unlimited in a trial found the computing performance to be the same or faster than their previous computing environment.
- 88% of participants in the HyperWorks Unlimited trial rated their experience positive or extremely positive.
- 100% of HyperWorks Unlimited trial participants would recommend HyperWorks Unlimited to a colleague or friend.
What is HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance?
Altair’s HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance is a CAE cloud solution, bringing software (SaaS) to Altair customers within a single and intuitive portal. It lets users simulate and explore more design possibilities and innovate faster using all the power and resources of the HyperWorks CAE suite. Design teams benefit from HPC for CAE without the capital and operational expenses or the IT resources required to house, install and maintain a powerful, sophisticated HPC cluster.
HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance offers a per-node-per-month business model that organizations can consume over a 12 month period whenever it is needed.
Who Needs Cloud Solutions?
Both HyperWorks Unlimited Physical Appliance and HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance are ideal solutions for companies of all sizes and provide a competitive advantage to users in a broad range of industries.
- Small firms can now perform engineering and simulation once only available to OEMs without the need for extensive capital and IT. HPC capabilities are democratized so that everyone can engage in DOE and become more competitive in a matter of minutes.
- Medium-sized businesses can now afford to expand their HPC resources because they are no longer constrained by solver licenses.
- Larger organizations with dispersed regional engineering centers can quickly add new and additional capacity with local support at the department level who otherwise would have no local HPC compute resources or support.
Want a Chance to Try HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance?
If you missed out on participating in the HPC Challenge you are in luck!
Altair is providing a new Test Drive of HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance. This test drive allows you access to 48 hours of use of HyperWorks Unlimited Virtual Appliance and HyperWorks 14.0. This trial is ideal for engineers and designers that are interested in testing the cloud in order to gain a competitive advantage.
To learn more and sign up for a free trial, visit: www.altairhyperworks.com/hwultestdrive
- High Excitement at High Performance Computing Event in Frankfurt, Germany - July 1, 2016
- What 11 Altair Customers Benefitted from the HPC Cloud Challenge - April 28, 2016
- Featured Event: Altair at Supercomputing 2015 - November 9, 2015